Status of Horn Assembly as of 5/4/01
On 5/3/01 we moved the horn from its assembly fixture to its final resting place on the horn platform. The striplines that go inside the horn box are all assembled and ready, as is the target support channel. On 5/4/01 we had the upstream end re-assembled and almost ready for the drilling template to put more holes on the upstream end for the stripline air duct cowlings. (These were not designed when the horn box was being fabricated.)
Click on any of the thumbnails to get an enlarged view. You are welcome to download any of the images. If they are used for other than private viewing, credit to Bartoszek Engineering would be appreciated.
Moving the horn to the horn platform
Correcting the Roll of the Horn
Hiep Le has to take credit for suggesting the idea of using the jack from my Ford Escort to do fine adjustment of the roll of the horn. I kept asking for a bottle jack which he didn't have, so this was his idea and it worked perfectly.
Upper and Lower Striplines Assembled
The aluminum 1/2-13 threaded rods on the stripline clamps have all been torqued to 25 ft-lbs. The 3/8-16 bolts on the ground cross-over plates have been torqued to 20 ft-lbs.
Target Rail (for inside Horn Box) Assembled
The FNAL alignment group used the laser tracker to measure the parallelism of the Thomson rails. They are good through most of their length to about .004" and in one place they deviate by about .008", but this should not be a problem. The bars on the rails are the hand alignment fixtures we used to tighten the rails down.
Upstream End of Horn Box Reassembled for Drilling
Reality is starting to look like the solid model! (Except with fewer colors.)
Back to the MiniBooNE Horn Main Menu
Back to the Bartoszek Engineering Home Page